GOTTFRIED SOMMERS LLC Areas of Practice
The workers' compensation attorneys at Gottfried Sommers LLC counsel and represent employers of all sizes, across a broad range of injuries, including public employers, healthcare, retail, manufacturing and services organizations in all aspects of their workers' compensation programs, including:
- Industrial Commission Proceedings
- Permanent Total Disability Applications
- BWC Risk/Premium Issues
- Common Pleas Court Appeals
- Appellate Litigation
- Mandamus Actions
- Intentional Tort Actions
- Safety Violation Cases
GottSommLaw we know that one workplace injury can have economic consequences far beyond the payment of medical bills, which can impact an employer's Workers' Compensation State fund premiums or self-insured program – and can impact the your company's ability to compete and survive.
GottSommLaw assists companies:
- Initial investigation of claims
- Witness and supervisor interviews
- Coordinating with third party administrators and managed care organizations to minimize redundancy and expenses
- Coordinating and managing medical examinations with experts
- Attending hearings before the Industrial Commission of Ohio
- Handling Violations of Specific Safety Requirements
- On-site inspections
- Assists in matters before the Bureau of Workers' Compensation, including:
At Gottfried Sommers we understand that most businesses cannot afford to have their own in-house general counsel to advise them on a daily basis. Yet, as employers, they face the same issues as major corporations regarding wages, hours, fringe benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.
Gottfried Sommers assists companies in:
- Reviewing handbooks and HR policies
- Creating and applying job descriptions
- State and federal law compliance
- Managing personnel issues
- Dealing closely with corporate management, HR departments, and risk managers to resolve workplace issues within a framework that protects the inherent managerial rights of the employer to make decisions in the best interests of the company
Labor and employment
Employment-related claims and complaints to local, state, and federal agencies can put a strain on a company's resources in terms of time, money, and lost productivity - not to mention the additional expense incurred if an unresolved complaint evolves into a lawsuit. The attorneys of Gottfried Sommers take a proactive approach with their clients, reviewing and analyzing company policies and human resource practices to ensure legal compliance and minimize the possibility of disputes arising in the first place.
GottSommLaw works with business owners to establish effective tools for communicating and documenting employer expectations, and regularly counsels its clients in the following areas:
- ADA (disability law) accommodation and compliance
- Drug testing issues
- Employment practices audits
- Employee and supervisor training
- FMLA and leave issues
- Harassment and discrimination claim investigation
- OSHA guidance and compliance advice
- Separation agreements
- Wage and hour compliance
- Whistleblower issues
- Workplace injuries and intentional tort defense
- Wrongful termination claims
GottSommLaw represents employers in all types of employment claims and litigation, including:
- Discrimination litigation pertaining to age, gender, disability, race, and religious affiliation
- Sexual harassment litigation
- Wrongful discharge
- Unemployment compensation hearings
The product liability and toxic tort specialists at Gottfried Sommers LLC are highly trained attorneys with an exceptional depth of experience in today's litigious environment. Our attorneys defend corporate clients in a wide range of cases involving allegations of cancer and major organ diseases (e.g., diseases of the lungs, liver, kidneys and central nervous system), as well as other chronic and acute injuries allegedly resulting from inhalation, dermal, ocular, and ingestion exposures, as well as asbestos and silica exposure claims.
Focusing on minimizing the risk of exposure to legal action, our attorneys have handled cases in both federal and state courts nationwide, as well as before the Industrial Commission of Ohio, in several key industry fields.
Our clients benefit from the fact that GottSommLaw combines toxic tort defense experience with experience in administrative workers' compensation, as well as the medical issues that often form the battleground for these cases.
Gottfried Sommers' board certified civil pretrial practice lawyers have significant litigation experience and skill at settling cases before trial. They are qualified to complete the preparatory steps for all disputes before a tribunal, including litigation proceedings from inception through discovery, pretrial motions and hearings, and alternative dispute resolution procedures. They are proficient in resolving disputes before lawsuits are filed, handling mediations and arbitrations.
Legal issues have grown so large and complex that attorneys cannot competently handle all legal matters. The attorneys of Gottfried Sommers have significant
The attorneys at Gottfried Sommers provide ready access and answers for small and medium-sized businesses, enabling them to move forward on decisions with peace of mind on a cost-effective basis, including:
- Answers to common contract questions
- Litigation avoidance
- Contract review and creation